Saturday, January 29, 2011

EDEC- Day 3 / Day 4

Reason for late post: Dad's surgery + school + work + social life + other necessary "life" activities such as eating and sleeping. In other words, Thursday and Friday night I passed out before I could even think about blogging! At any rate, I'm going to try my best to piece together what happened at elementary school this week.

Thursday-

  • Asked Ms. Ellett if there was any way I could get a pass to open the door because the door is still locked when I get there. In doing so, I has hoping that one of two things would happen: 1) She would find a way to get me a pass so I don't have to freeze until someone comes to the door. 2) She would tell me, "Oh, I'm sorry. Why don't you come in at 7:15?" I got this reply instead, "Just come around the back and knock... I'll let you in." Crap. That did not go as planned. I know that I'm having a bad attitude, but 7 a.m. seems to be getting earlier and earlier as I go along. Maybe it was just a bad combination of things this week.
  • Looked at Ms. Ellett's rules and consequences. Rules: F.R.O.G.S. F- Follow directions,  R- Respect yourself and others,  O- Observe personal body space,  G- Give it your best, and S- Show responsibility. The consequences were in the form of a behavior chart. Colored lily pads represented different stops on the chart. The sequence of tiers (from best to worst) was as follows: super job(blue), great job(orange), good job(green), timeout(yellow), timeout and note home(red). From what I have noticed, it takes a lot of misbehavior for a child to get to timeout. Ms. Ellett and the para, Ms. Gray, give the students numerous chances to correct their behavior. There seems to be more focus on rewarding good behavior with moving their name up to great or super job. At the end of the day, the students go to Ms. Gray, and are handed their agenda. The student must color the color of the lily pad they are on into their agenda. If there was any misbehavior throughout the day it is discussed with Ms. Gray. If the student ends on blue (super job), then they get to move a marble into the marble jar. When the jar is full, the entire class is awarded lunch and a movie in the classroom. 
  • I haven't really figured out if Ms. Ellett's behavior system works well. 
  • Had my first read aloud experience in the classroom... just wished that I could have picked another book. Anansi and the Moss-Covered Rock was a little dry.
  • Funny thing that happened- A student was telling Ms. Ellett that his mom was reading books on how to be a better mom, just like Ms. Ellett was reading books on how to be a better teacher. Another child stood up and announced, "My mama needs one of them books. She is a mean mama." 
Friday-
  • When I got to school at 7 a.m., I remembered that Ms. Ellett had to go to professional development, so we were going to have a substitute. I was worried because in my former mentor teacher's room me and my partner ended up doing everything while the sub sat on her butt all day eating Cheetos. No judgement, but I think if you're paid to do a job, you should do it. Anyway, the sub came in, started to establish some control over the class, and began to implement the plans... boy, was I relieved.
  • Got to do the read aloud again... I'm quite bored of that story! I wonder if in kindergarten it is normal to read the same story all week long?
  • Counselor came in to do a session on teamwork. At the end of a story and discussion, the kids got to play "blanket ball." It was nice to see them smiling and giggling. Sometimes I feel like kindergartners have so much work to do!
  • About 15 minutes before writing time was over, the sub was considering keeping the students in from recess to finish their work. I told her (in a much lighter way than as follows) that if she wanted to keep her sanity, that she would take them outside. I was proud that I stood up for the kids and made a decision based on what I knew about them. She changed her mind.
  • After recess, I had to leave due to Dad being discharged from the hospital much earlier than he/we had expected. The kids begged for me to stay and almost mauled me over with their hugs. They are truly precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment