Saturday, February 26, 2011

EDEC- Day 11 and 12

Thursday- I taught morning meeting this morning and it went over very well! The only problem was that some kids were getting antsy and I didn't really know what to do about that... but luckily my teacher is awesome about telling me how to fix things. It is so much different from last semester because I can really see myself growing as a teacher week-by-week. It is strange to think that in 3/4 of a year they will officially let me teach kids on my own... SCARY! Anyway, in terms of the reading, I can really see where it holds true in my mentor's classroom and the classroom of the other teachers on my hall. It is obvious at lunch time that not every teacher likes each student, but these particular students are not treated differently in class. Also, I notice in my classroom that praising students is an effective way to manage the classroom. Instead of calling out the one kid who isn't doing what he's supposed to, praise the kid who is doing it perfectly. Everyone loves to be praised, so the students get their acts together. And it's true that you can never praise them enough!

Friday- Well, my calendar time got interrupted today by a surprise book buddies meeting, but after it got started, it was pretty smooth sailing. I figured out what to do with a particularly tough student, so I am very proud of myself for that. He was peeling off a much needed band-aid and was making the other students uneasy, so I gave him a warning, he continued, so I told him to go put his head down. When it was his turn to check the weather I asked him if he thought that he could handle it. He said yes and that was that. I am slowly learning better class management techniques!

No comments:

Post a Comment